Date:      Fri, 22 Apr 2005 21:20:26 GMT
From:      Martin Piayda <martin.piayda@udo.edu>
To:        freebsd-gnats-submit@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   i386/80265: D-Link NIC with VIA Rhine  II has no carrier signal on boot

>Number:         80265
>Category:       i386
>Synopsis:       D-Link NIC with VIA Rhine  II has no carrier signal on boot
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       non-critical
So, I'm using a D-Link NIC with a VIA Rhine II chipset (exactly a VIA VT6102 Rhine II 10/100BaseTX) for hooking up to the WAN.
When rebooting the system the vr0-device (this is the nic's order) has no carrier signal. Plugging out the endpoint and plugging it back in (the cable :) restores the signal.
There is no instability while the carrier is online, it's just gone when the nic is reinitialized e.g. by rebooting.
This makes remote rebooting unusable.
I tested the nic in a different system on a different operating system and it works fine there.
That's what makes me suspect the driver for the card.
If used vr as the driver for the nic.
>How-To-Repeat:
Reboot the system or reinitialize the card.