Date:      Thu, 10 Feb 2000 18:59:06 -0600
From:      "Matthew D. Fuller" <fullermd@futuresouth.com>
To:        Richard Wackerbarth <rkw@dataplex.net>
Cc:        Darryl Okahata <darrylo@sr.hp.com>, freebsd-ports@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: /usr/ports/ too big?

On Thu, Feb 10, 2000 at 06:26:11PM -0600, a little birdie told me
that Richard Wackerbarth remarked

> I well recognize how it all works. But, from a practical point, no system is
> complete w/o some ports. I am concerned with the POV of a "typical" user.
> We need to make our system (even) more "user friendly". The typical user needs
> to be aware of the resources available w/o being burdened with stuff they don't
> need. Not everyone has T3 net access and a tera-byte of HD. :-)

Nope, I have a transient 33.6 'net access.  I keep a copy of the full CVS
repot (www, docs, ports, src), updated daily or so.

> You are obviously just "checking out" from the CVS tree. I was referring to
> those who actually keep a CVS tree. (It is rather necessary when you are near
> the "bleeding edge" -- XXX just broke YYY and you need to revert a few files to
> yesterday's version.

Well, OK then, your requirements need the CVS tree.  Deal with it.

> However, my point is that, although I NEED the recent history, and the "Library
> of Congress^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^HFreeBSD NEEDS to maintain the total history,
> I doubt that any of the developers have had any reason to examine distant
> history for more that a file or two. I see no reason for the world-wide
> community to be FORCED (see how CVS stores things) to keep the ENTIRE history
> online and on numerous development platforms. There has to be a better way to
> utilize resources.

Eh?
Nobody's forcing you to keep the CVS tree.  You only keep it if you need
it for some reason.  So what you're saying is, 'I need the tree for XXX,
but I shouldn't be forced to have it'.  If all you need to do is look at
a file's history once in a blue moon, what's wrong with the cvsweb
interface, or anon cvs, etc.

And for crying out loud, why have the entire repo on numerous
platforms!?  I keep *1* copy of the repository on *1* machine, and just
access it from wherever I want onsite when I need it.  What part of the
'networking' concept this is all based around are you dismissing?

--
Matthew Fuller     (MF4839)     |    fullermd@over-yonder.net
Unix Systems Administrator      |    fullermd@futuresouth.com