Date:      Wed, 14 Jul 2004 22:15:49 -0400 (EDT)
From:      "Mike Jakubik" <mikej@rogers.com>
To:        "Motonori Shindo" <mshindo@mshindo.net>
Cc:        freebsd-net@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: PPTP VPN using MPD behind NAT help needed

Motonori Shindo said:

> Mike,
>
> This seems like a DSL router's problem. Because PPTP encapsulates PPP
> using GRE, which is neither TCP nor UDP, routers sometimes can not NAT
> PPTP traffic. Some router conqurs this problem by simply "passing
> through" GRE packets (and hence this feature is sometimes called "VPN
> Pass Through") assuming there is only one PPTP client behind NAT. What
> you are seeing is most likely this case.
>
> There are, however, routers with more intelligence in this regard,
> which is capable of handling GRE over NAT with many clients. 'natd'
> included in FreeBSD is one of such "smart" NAT implementation.
>
> Regards,

Thanks, but what has me concerned is that fact that one client can connect
just fine. I belive they are using a watchguard firebox as their firewall.
Aother strange thing is that we have had a Windows 2003 server behind this
Dlink router, and VPN worked with the Windows server. This is what led me
to belive that it may be something else.