Date:      08 Jul 2002 18:59:55 -0400
From:      Joe Marcus Clarke <marcus@marcuscom.com>
To:        Joe Kelsey <joek@mail.flyingcroc.net>
Cc:        freebsd-gnome <freebsd-gnome@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: bsd.gnomeng.mk

On Mon, 2002-07-08 at 13:02, Joe Kelsey wrote:
> I do not understand how this whole framework is supposed to work.
>  According to Joe's new FAQ, just putting WITHOUT_GNOME=yes in
> /etc/make.conf is supposed to prevent re-making of the gnome1 thingies.

This should be fixed soon once we get everything moved over to
bsd.gnomeng.mk.

> However, since gdm2 does not work, I have to reinstall gdm.  When I go
> to reinstall gdm, it tries to reinstall gnomecore.  This is really
> wrong!  The only way I have been able to prevent gdm from working on
> gnomecore is to change the USE_GNOME in the gdm Makefile to WITH_GNOME.
>
> My /etc/make.conf includes the following lines
>
> WITHOUT_GNMOE=yes
> WITH_GNOMENG=yes
>
> What should it *really* contain?

Good question.  You'll need to play with the plist some to remove
directories in already defined in gnomehier.  Then, you'll want to set
USE_GNOMENG and set:

USE_GNOME=	gnomeprefix gnomehack gnomelibs

> When will gdm2 be fixed?

I need someone willing to help me troubleshoot the issue with gdb.  I
can't reproduce the problem.

> I suspect that the gdm2 problem must somehow be related to
> yet-another-stupid-shared-lib-bug, but which library do I have left
> dangling and how to I find it?  I really think it is a PAM problem, but
> I don't know how to debug it.  Enabling the log messages in gdm.conf
> does no good as it seems to be stuck in gdmlogin (?) and there are no
> debugging messages coming from it.

Compile gdm with debugging symbols, then run gdb on it to find out why
it's spinning.

Joe