Date:      Thu, 12 Oct 2000 13:16:06 -0400
From:      Alan Clegg <abc@bsdi.com>
To:        Micke Josefsson <mj@isy.liu.se>
Cc:        Daniel Bye <Daniel.Bye@uk.uu.net>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: How do I kill this 'unkillable' process?

Unless the network is lying to me again, Micke Josefsson said:

> That was what I first tried, you now! But it doesn't budge. I recall McKusick
> calling -9 a 'sure kill', but apparently not for me.

The problem is that the program is not going to return to user-space (when
the kill signal will be handled).

You have just found out how to create an unkillable (without hardware
intervention [perhaps applying CD to the serial line?]) process.

Other ways to create processes like this are:

	1) remove scsi drive (pull the cable/power) while disk is
		being accessed (application in IO wait).
	2) have a tape drive fail during a 'rewind' operation.

AlanC