Date:      Sun, 12 Mar 2006 09:14:10 -0500
From:      Chuck Swiger <cswiger@mac.com>
To:        Patrick Bowen <pbowen@fastmail.fm>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: gmirror on a laptop.

Patrick Bowen wrote:
> I wanted to fiddle around with gmirror(8) on a Dell C-600 Laptop. It has
> a 2-slice, 20 Gig HD, and I essentially wanted to mirror ad0s1 to ad0s2.
> I realize this will put the HD under stress, but otherwise it seems
> do-able.
>
> What I want to know is whether this is such an incredibly bad idea I
> shouldn't even consider it --or-- it seems like a good way to get
> familiar with gmirror, so go for it.

If you want to do this for the sake of practice, by all means, feel free.

However, mirroring onto the same device is going to result in almost no benefit
to reliability and will cause a very large performance hit, as well as reducing
the usable amount of disk space in half.  (In other words, actually leaving the
machine set up that way would be an incredibly bad idea.)

--
-Chuck