Date:      Fri, 17 Dec 2004 22:27:41 -0800 (PST)
From:      "Jeremy C. Reed" <reed@reedmedia.net>
To:        "Jorge Mario G." <murcielako@yahoo.com>
Cc:        freebsd-chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: eliminating GPL apps on FreeBSD

On Fri, 17 Dec 2004, Jorge Mario G. wrote:

> it would be nice if we could integrate all the
> re-written parts, or at least the FreeBSD project
> could do it. so that way we would reduce the GPL code
> in the system
> shouldnt be there an iniciative to do this?
>
> P.S.: I'm doing what I can to make this happen

Make a up-to-date list of what software is needed and how well it is
working.

I'll start your list:

bc/dc -- I hear that OpenBSD is working on this, but also a NetBSD
developer (who also wrote a lot or maintained the GNU equivalents) has
BSD-licensed versions too.

{g,n,t}roff -- I think I heard that someone is using an old BSD licensed
version dating back to early 1990's and before. I have used cawf (for
almost a year) with some custom macros, but it needs a lot of work.

cc and c++ -- two tendra projects; seems like they should join back
together?

as (assembler) and ld (linker)

gcc related libraries

sendmail replacement -- my outbound mailout has been in use for a few
years, but needs a lot of work.

binutils

gdb

gprof?

rcs?

Some things already done (but not necessarily used yet): cpio, diff?,
patch?, grep, gzip, sort, tar, dialog, gettext, bc/dc.

 Jeremy C. Reed

 	  	 	 open source, Unix, *BSD, Linux training
	  	 	 http://www.pugetsoundtechnology.com/