Date:      Mon, 29 Nov 1999 14:36:37 +0100
From:      "Jan Hudak" <jhudak@cscare.com>
To:        "Sheldon Hearn" <sheldonh@uunet.co.za>
Cc:        <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: ftp download from FreeBSD box

>> Couple of hours ago I've downloaded 8MB file over the Internet (I use
>> FreeBSD box as an inet gateway) Download time: 18 minutes over ISDN. But
>> when I tried to copy it on the laptop using standard win95 ftp client, it
>> was even slower than that - 24 minutes.
>
>Were you copying it from your FreeBSD gateway onto your Win95 box?  If
>so, you need to find out how busy your local ether is at the time of the
>copy.
>
>To do that, you can use a utility like trafshow (in the net category of
>the ports tree, see http://www.freebsd.org/ports/) to show you what's
>happening on your network.  Be sure to tell trafshow which interface to
>look at with the -i option.
>
>You should probably also consider what work your Win95 box is doing at
>the time of the transfer.  I'm pretty sure Quake, for example, would
>slow your transfers down. :-)
>
>Ciao,
>Sheldon.

I've done some more investigation. I can reproduce this situation at will.
It does not
depend on local ethernet load or PPP iface. It seems that it is not even ftp
related.
I've generated a big mail message in /var/mail/ , enabled popper and pointed
a MS Outlook on laptop to my FreeBSD machine. Download was ridiculuosly slow
for a LAN.

More on that ftp transfer: When uploading from win95 to bsd, NIC LEDs are
lit continuously. While downloading from bsd to windows laptop, LEDs blink
approx. every half a second. Hash marks in ftp client come up in groups of
two, on each ethernet activity (seems to mean 2kB/half-a-second)
I've tested it on both boxes freshly booted, not logged in FreeBSD box.
Windows with DOS box running ftp client only.