Date:      Sat, 28 Jul 2001 09:43:06 -0600
From:      Warner Losh <imp@harmony.village.org>
To:        Tenebrae <tenebrae@niceboots.com>
Cc:        stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Installing FreeBSD from Diskettes

In message <Pine.BSF.4.21.0107190906350.81649-100000@steeltoe.niceboots.com> Tenebrae writes:
: Still requires a boot floppy though, right?

Mostly, but read on.

: My question is...
: Is it possible to install freeBSD WITHOUT a floppy drive?
: I have a laptop with no floppy drive and a non-bootable CD-ROM drive (it's
: a bit flaky - was dropped apparently quite hard in transit, but it was
: free...).  It does, however, have a barely working RedHate installation on
: it and I managed to get the network card configured, so I at least have a
: nice fast DSL connection working with it.
: All the documentation seems to suggest I'm SOL.
: I am hoping to hear otherwise.
: So, any ideas?

Well, it depends.  Since I didn't see any other answers despite over a
week passing, I though I'd offer my own.

First way: Create two slices on the disk for FreeBSD.  You'll only
need one long term.  Make the first one at least 2.88MB in length.
Make the second one the size that you want.  dd the 2.88MB floppy
install image onto the first slice.  You should be able to boot off of
that with lilo or some other boot manager.  You can then proceed to
install FreeBSD onto the second slice in the usual ways.

Second way: Take the disk out of this laptop, and put it into a
desktop and use multiuser sysinstall and/or make installworld +
hacking to put FreeBSD onto the disk.

Warner