Date:      Mon, 28 Feb 2000 21:07:43 -0500
From:      Brian Reichert <reichert@numachi.com>
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Stallion EasyConnection 8/64-PCI drivers

Howdy.  I've been pawing through the archive, but can't seem to
resolve a set of symtoms WRT getting the Stallion EasyConnection
8/64-PCI card (with XP module) to probe under FBSD 3.4-R.

I have tried putting this line in my kernel config file:

	device          stl0

I have tried both the Stallion drivers that come with a stock 3.4-R
installation, as well as the recent drivers from Stallion:

  <ftp://ftp.stallion.com/drivers/unsupported/FreeBSD/stalbsd-2.0.0.tar.gz>;

Booting either kernel does not probe the card.  This is with the XP module
connected, if that's an issue.

pciconf(8) reveals:

# pciconf -l
chip0@pci0:0:0: class=0x060000 card=0x00000000 chip=0x71908086 rev=0x03 hdr=0x00
chip1@pci0:1:0: class=0x060400 card=0x00000000 chip=0x71918086 rev=0x03 hdr=0x01
chip2@pci0:7:0: class=0x060100 card=0x00000000 chip=0x71108086 rev=0x02 hdr=0x00
ide_pci0@pci0:7:1:      class=0x010180 card=0x00000000 chip=0x71118086 rev=0x01 hdr=0x00
none0@pci0:7:2: class=0x0c0300 card=0x00000000 chip=0x71128086 rev=0x01 hdr=0x00
chip3@pci0:7:3: class=0x068000 card=0x00000000 chip=0x71138086 rev=0x02 hdr=0x00
none1@pci0:14:0:        class=0x078000 card=0x0002124d chip=0x0002124d rev=0x01 hdr=0x00
xl0@pci0:15:0:  class=0x020000 card=0x905510b7 chip=0x905510b7 rev=0x30 hdr=0x00
vga0@pci1:0:0:  class=0x030000 card=0x58021092 chip=0x002010de rev=0x04 hdr=0x00

I certainly don't see 'stl' in there, but I do see two 'none' entries.  The
manpage for pciinfo(8) says:

  If there is no device configured in the kernel for the PCI device
  in question, the device name will be ``none''.

- Do either of these 'none' entries indicate to a misonfigured kernel?

- Is the card itself possibly defunct?  Silly question, I admit.
  I suppose I should see if M$ can see it. :/

I'm not used to PCI cards 'not working'; at least, with ISA cards,
you could poke and juggle parameters of the card to see in what
way the probe was failing...

--
Brian 'you Bastard' Reichert		reichert@numachi.com
37 Crystal Ave. #303			Daytime number: (781) 899-7484 x704