Date:      Tue, 26 Feb 2002 22:39:36 -0500
From:      Bill Moran <wmoran@potentialtech.com>
To:        Tim Kellers <timothyk@wallnet.com>, questions@freebsd.org
Cc:        kellers@njit.edu
Subject:   Re: Access database, Unix and php

On Tuesday 26 February 2002 22:09, Tim Kellers wrote:
> In an evironment that can be maddenly heterogenous, I need to connect
> --using php-- to an Access database that resides on a Win2k server.
> Recently, the day before yesterday in fact, Cold Fusion Server's CFMail
> capability gave up the ghost and I'm looking for an alternative way to post
> web information received via a form to a database and have it auto generate
> e-mail to the poster.
>
> I know how to do that in php(4) and MySQL --in fact I have that component
> working.  But (and there is always a but), the form I have to use has
> selections that are stored in an Access database on one of the Win 2K
> machines.

You could install the ODBC drivers for MySQL in the W2K machine and
use that to access the data on the MySQL server on the FreeBSD machine.
I've used these Windows ODBC drivers in production and they work pretty
well.
I know that's not exactly what you're asking, but I thought I'd put it out there
in case you hadn't thought of it.

> Samba is installed on the server that is running php/MySQL.  I don't have
> the time at this point (or truthfully the desire even if I had the time) to
> install the Windows variant of php and MySQL on the Win 2k box..  Heck, I
> don't even have the time to do the reinstall of Cold Fusion 5  on the Win
> 2k box.
>
> If anyone has experience using Unix tools (like Unix ODBC) or can point me
> to a reference where I might learn how to make a Unix<-->Access db
> connection, I'd be most appreciative.
>
> TIA,
>
> Tim Kellers
> CPE/NJIT