Date:      Fri, 12 Mar 1999 14:55:51 -0800
From:      Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
To:        freebsd-scsi@freebsd.org
Subject:   Possible errata for the 7890?

------- Forwarded Message

From: Andrew Heybey <ath@niksun.com>
To: freebsd-gnats-submit@freebsd.org, mike@smith.net.au
Subject: Re: kern/10243: Under heavy disk and network load read(2) can return garbage.
Date: Fri, 12 Mar 1999 11:44:21 -0500

This bug (under simulataneous heavy disk and network activity reads
from disk appear to suffer from short DMA tranfers resulting in incorrect
data being returned by read(2)) appears to be a hardware bug.

The motherboard on the systems on which I experienced the problem is
an Asus P2B-LS with on-board intel ethernet and AIC7890 SCSI
controller.  If I change the "PCI Latency" BIOS setting from the
default of 32 to 64, the problem seems to go away.  At least I can run
my test programs overnight without a failure while previously they
would not run for more than 10-20 minutes.

My hypothesis is that the 7890 is not getting sufficient PCI bus
bandwidth to keep up with the disks and that there is some bug either
in the controller or the disks (IBM Ultrastart 9LZX) such that they
lose part of a transfer in this cas.  I am not very familiar with the
SCSI protocol, but I would think that there is some way that the
controller could apply backpressure to the disk to ask it to slow down
if the controller's FIFOs are getting full.  To lose data either the
controller is not applying back pressure or the disk is ignoring it.

This PR can be closed, and I apologize for jumping to the conclusion
that this is a FreeBSD bug.

andrew

------- End of Forwarded Message