Date:      Sun, 11 Aug 1996 00:00:35 -0600 (MDT)
From:      Justin Ashworth <ashworth@fubar.cs.montana.edu>
To:        Hung Michael Nguyen <miker@cs.utexas.edu>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: A couple of things...

On Sat, 10 Aug 1996, Hung Michael Nguyen wrote:

> I had this problem when my resolver config was screwed up. X took a long
> time starting up. See if your hostname is not in /etc/hosts.

  It's in there, but I'm sure that's along the right lines because I
can't telnet or rlogin to my machine from outside or even from inside
when specifying 'localhost' as the destination. Could this mean that
inetd.conf isn't being read? I do a 'ps -ax' and don't see any rlogind,
telnetd, or anything of the sort. However, I do see inetd. Are all of the
other daemons that start in inetd.conf bundled into the one inetd process?

  I also get ifconfig errors when booting that say that tun0 and lo0 don't
exist. Here's the pertinent section of my /etc/sysconfig where I define
lo0 and tun0:
----------
network_interfaces="lo0 tun0"

ifconfig_lo0="inet localhost"
ifconfig_tun0="inet spacehog.structured.net 206.58.0.100 netmask 0xffffff00"
----------
Note that the IP address in there is the Livingston Portmaster on the
other side of my connection (pm2e10.structured.net). Is it appropriate to
use the modem handler for a gateway?

  Does it mean anything that I have a /dev/tun0 but not a /dev/lo0?
Here is where I define tun and ppp in my kernel. I know these definitions
are correct because I had it working before...
----------
pseudo-device   ppp     1
pseudo-device   tun     1

BTW, I fooled around enough and got e-mail to send to my machine.

I should remember to make more detailed notes next time I decide to
reinstall!

Thanks for your help!

 - Justin J. Ashworth
-- CS Student - Montana State University
--- Chair, Association for Computing Machinery - MSU
-- ashworth@cs.montana.edu
- http://www.cs.montana.edu/~ashworth