Date:      Fri, 07 Apr 2006 12:36:22 -0700
From:      Sam Leffler <sam@errno.com>
To:        "Eric W. Bates" <ericx_lists@vineyard.net>
Cc:        freebsd-net@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: hifn errors on console

Eric W. Bates wrote:

> Sam Leffler wrote:
>> Eric W. Bates wrote:
>>
>>> I'm running pfsense (an embedded FreeBSD 6.1) on a wrap2C.  I recently
>>> added a Soekris vpn1411 and am now getting infrequent errors:
>>>
>>> hifn0: rndtest: ones interval 4 failed (382, 251-373)
>>> hifn0: rndtest: ones interval 1 failed (2663, 2343-2657)
>>> hifn0: rndtest: zeros interval 5 failed (206, 111-201)
>>> hifn0: rndtest: ones interval 2 failed (1385, 1135-1365)
>>> hifn0: rndtest: zeros interval 3 failed (718, 542-708)
>>> hifn0: rndtest: zeros interval 4 failed (243, 251-373)
>>> hifn0: rndtest: zeros interval 3 failed (717, 542-708)
>>>
>>> IPSec works fine.  However, I do not know how to tell whether the hifn
>>> is being used.
>>>
>>> I had no luck with Google.  Can anyone enlighten me?
>>
>> man rndtest(4).  pfSense has configured the FIPS rng testing module to
>> monitor the entropy sent by the h/w to the system prng.  Looks like
>>
>> sysctl kern.rdntest.verbose=0
>>
>> will turn off console msgs.
>
> I guess I want to follow up on this a bit.  It seems that rndtest is
> unsatisfied with the degree of randomness presented by the card.
>
> Is that randomness used to produce /dev/random?
>
> Is this an indication of a fault with the card?

The entropy is fed into the system PRNG where it is processed again
before being supplied as data from /dev/random.  So there is nothing to
worry about.

> How does such a card "create"/"collect" entropy?

Drivers that manage h/w entropy sources (such as those found on crypto
devices) periodically collect data and feed it to the PRNG.

> Is there anything I can do to improve the situation?

rndtest was done to evaluate the goodness of h/w entropy sources for
various reasons that are not important.  It is not intended for
production use.  Why pfsense includes it is unclear.