Date:      Thu, 2 Mar 2000 11:04:13 -0800 (PST)
From:      Kris Kennaway <kris@hub.freebsd.org>
To:        Jonathon McKitrick <jcm@dogma.freebsd-uk.eu.org>
Cc:        freebsd-chat <chat@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: any news on w2k in the world?

On Thu, 2 Mar 2000, Jonathon McKitrick wrote:

> Setting security aside for the moment, what about other issues?
> Overall stability, speed, hardware support, administration,
> scalability, etc.

No idea.

> I am concerned about all this because i *just* got into Unix, and i
> hoped pursuing a job in the field isn't a waste of time.  Now M$
> appears with a 'Unix-slayer' OS, at least in their minds, and they put
> enough time into development and testing to raise a few eyebrows.  And
> unlike previous releases, this one is really getting good reviews.

I really don't think UNIX is going away in the next few years, do you?

> I just heard from someone recently about several banks that switched
> to NT from Unix.  I thought banks would stick to the most robust
> systems.  Apparently i was wrong.

Remind me never to bank with them :)

Seriously though, if you saw someone falling off a building, would you
assume they had learned the secret of flight, because otherwise they
wouldn't have jumped off the building? I think someone posted here a few
weeks ago the joke about the classical economist and the physicist, who
were walking along the street together, when the physicist looked down and
say a $100 note on the side of the road. "Look, someone dropped a $100
note!" he exclaims as he bends down to pick it up. The classical economist
doesn't even bother to look down, but replies, "that's quite impossible -
if there was a $100 note on the road then someone else would have picked
it up long ago".

Moral: never assume that just because you see someone make a decision that
they did it for smart reasons, or for any reason at all. In the real world
businesses are far from being perfectly efficient.

Kris

----