Date:      Thu, 26 Jun 2003 13:05:33 +0100
From:      Peter McGarvey <fbsd-x@packet.org.uk>
To:        Paul Robinson <paul@iconoplex.co.uk>
Cc:        FreeBSD Chat <freebsd-chat@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: RMS says: "Use BSD, for goodness sake!"

* Paul Robinson <paul@iconoplex.co.uk> [2003-06-26 12:52:11 BST]:
> On Thu, Jun 26, 2003 at 12:35:53PM +0100, Peter McGarvey wrote:
>
> > * Paul Robinson <paul@iconoplex.co.uk> [2003-06-26 12:04:33 BST]:
> > > awk - encourage people to port their code away from awk. Big.
> >
> > Does anyone actually USE awk?
>
> Yes.
>
> > Other than to filter columns that is.
>
> That's exactly what it's used for. I haven't seen anybody use awk for more
> than a command line `awk '{print $4, $6}'` in years. I know one guy who uses
> it for other stuff, and he's moving it all to perl anyway. If we were to
> write a 'colprint' command that would do the same thing, most people would
> not notice the difference if it went.

Well, `cut` can handle columns.  I seem to remember there are definite
reasons why I prefer awk, but it's likely just lazyness.

> > Doesn't OpenBSD have a preferance for BSDL?  I seem to remember the pf
> > project kicked-off due to a problem with the IPFilter licence.  Perhaps
> > we should see what we can lift from them.
>
> Good point, but if memory serves, the last time I looked at OpenBSD there
> was still a chunk of GPL floating around.
>
> The big one is gcc. Remove that, and we're really rolling. The alternatives
> aren't very good though - TenDRA? I remember the troll a few weeks ago
> suggesting this, and maybe it's a plan. The impact would be massive though.
> All those makefiles with command line options to be passed to gcc...

Just had a  quick look on the OpenBSD website.  One of their stated aims
is:

    Integrate good code from any source with acceptable copyright
    (Berkeley style preferred, GPL acceptable, NDA not). We want to make
    available source code that anyone can use for ANY PURPOSE, with no
    restrictions.

Which is how I see things.  I don't consider the GPL as evil, but using
GPL code requires too much effort.

> The more I look at that list though, the more of them I think could be
> pulled out as external packages/ports

My thoughts exactly.

--
TTFN, FNORD