Date:      Thu, 9 Mar 2000 14:46:34 -0500 (EST)
From:      "Christopher W. Aiken" <cwaiken@telerama.com>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   ports install question

I'm a two week old FreeBSD 3.3-RELEASE newbe and have a
simple question that I can't seem to find an answer too.

On CD 4 there are megabytes of files in the "distfiles"
and "ports/distfiles".  I would assume that the files in
these two directories are the same?

If I have the /cdrom mounted and I'm trying to do a port of
an app, should the "make" check the /cdrom for the
"distfiles" files after it checks /usr/ports/distfiles or do
I have to copy all those megabytes of "distfiles" to my HD
so that the "make" can find and use them?

 ---
Christopher W. Aiken
www.cwaiken.com
chris@cwaiken.com