Date:      Fri, 6 Feb 2009 21:34:19 -0000
From:      "Jasvinder S. Bahra" <bbdl21548@blueyonder.co.uk>
To:        <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   portsnap: Directory is not writable: /usr/ports

Everyone,

I'm running a number of jails (created using ezjail) on a FreeBSD 6.4 server
(RELENG_6_4).  If I do a "uname -a", I get the following...

FreeBSD machine.domain.tld 6.4-RELEASE-p2 FreeBSD 6.4-RELEASE-p2 #0: Fri Jan
9 00:01:13 GMT 2009     root@machine.domain.tld:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/MACHINE
i386

In any case, portaudit recently let me know that some of my installed
packages have been updated so I set the kern_securelevel setting in
/etc/rc.conf to "1" and rebooted the machine.

I then, as root, executed "portsnap fetch update".  Portsnap downloaded the
snapshot file, but when it tried to extract it, it failed and I was
presented with the following...

    portsnap: Directory is not writable: /usr/ports

If I execute "ls -al /usr/", one of the lines I get back are as follows...

    lrwxrwxrwx   1 root  wheel   19 Jan 22 20:07 ports ->
/basejail/usr/ports

I'm at something of a loss as to why this is happening.  I'm logged in as
root, and the above line clearly shows I have full permissions.  If I do a
"ls -al /basejail/usr/", one of the lines I get back are...

    drwxr-xr-x  68 root  wheel  1536 Jan  9 23:53 ports

Anyone have any ideas why this is happening?