Date:      Fri, 04 Sep 1998 11:44:39 -0500
From:      "Richard E. Hawkins Esq." <hawk@eyry.econ.iastate.edu>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   extended partitions, dos & ext2fs

I'm trying to figure out a usable way to set up my harddisk.  At the
moment, at least until I have thigns figured out, the system still
needs to run linux most of the time.

What I want to do in the interim is to share /home and /usr/src
between  FreeBSD &linux.  As linux can't write to ufs, this means that
ome has to be a an ext2fs partition.

from reading the bsd/linux Howto, It seems that bsd can only recognize
primary ext2 partitions, and not extended partitions.  This makes
minimal sense to me, as the installation documents suggest that bsd
*can* use extended dos partitions.

So, somehow, I need to figure a way to pack the five partitions I need
into the four allowed primary partitions.  I need:

1) somewhere in the first 1023 to stuff kernels for linux & bsd.
2) a freebsd partition
3) an extended partition, where much of linux can live
4) the shared partition
5) a dos partition (need to check kids games under dosemu & wine :)

I can see possible ways to solve these.  If bsd can read the dos
extemded partition, it goes in the same extended partition as the linux
stuff. Or if bsd can read/write logical ext2fs partitions, there's no
problems.  But each of these seems to violate one or another of the
constraints.  Is there a civilized way out of this?

thanks

rick

--
These opinions will not be those of ISU until it pays my retainer.