Date:      Mon, 17 Jul 2000 11:02:55 -0700
From:      "Andrey A. Chernov" <ache@freebsd.org>
To:        Alexander Langer <alex@big.endian.de>, markm@freebsd.org
Cc:        Leif Neland <leifn@neland.dk>, Steve O'Hara-Smith <steveo@eircom.net>, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   rc.shutdown hook is not a solution (was Re: randomdev entropy gathering is really weak)

On Mon, Jul 17, 2000 at 07:02:50PM +0200, Alexander Langer wrote:
> Thus spake Leif Neland (leifn@neland.dk):
>
> > If you can't reach a NTP server, you are not connected to the internet. In
> > that case you don't need to worry so much about security...
>
> That is wrong :)

The reason is not security only, the reason is buggy RNG.  Imagine diskless
keyboard-less and mouse-less slide-show machine with no rc.shutdown hooks
since it comes with power up and goes down with power down.  This machine
will always start with same picture because RNG have not enough enthropy.  In
worst case we should relay only on processor registers always present, i.e.
timers and so on.  rc.shutdown hook not solve problem completely.

--
Andrey A. Chernov
<ache@nagual.pp.ru>