Date:      Thu, 11 May 2000 01:09:28 -0600
From:      Chris Fedde <chris@fedde.littleton.co.us>
To:        Harry Putnam <reader@newsguy.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Install network setup

On 10 May 2000 22:20:41 -0700  Harry Putnam wrote:
 +------------------
 | Trying BSD for the first time in a year or so, a fresh install of
 | release 4.  I've attempted a network ftp install but can't get the
 | nertwork setup with the tools provided at install.
 |
 | Are there other tools, maybe in "packages" directory that will make
 | this a little easier?   So far I can't get to packages by ftp anyway,
 | but am currently downloading many of them with linux.
 +------------------

Durring the install there is a "emergency holographic shell"
available on one of the other virtual consoles.  Probaly under the
F3 key.  From there you can run ifconfig -a to see what the installer
has done to your interfaces.

Moving files between FreeBSD and say Linux or Win98 can be done
via the floppy using the mtools from the ports collection, or by
simply mounting a msdos file system under any os and copying them to that
partition.

Don't worry `bout both nics appearing on the same IRQ that's normal for
PCI.  You will need to know which one is the one that points to the
internet though.  looking at the manual pages for the dc and ed devices
could help

chris

--
    Chris Fedde