Date:      Thu, 06 Jun 1996 21:35:25 +0100
From:      "Gary Palmer" <gpalmer@FreeBSD.ORG>
To:        Johan Granlund <johang@algonet.se>
Cc:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>, stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: The demise of -stable

Johan Granlund wrote in message ID
<199606061914.VAA07596@hermes.algonet.se>:
> > People have been suggesting that we resurrect "the patch kit" and I
> > really don't know what to say about that.  If someone else were to
> > do the actual grunt work, sure, I guess I could see it working.  The
> > group at large would certainly be more cooperative partners that
> > Jolitz ever was :-).

> Another probably bad idea.
> How about a stable branch as now. With bugfixes and choice bits from
> the -current tree.

What a lot of people are forgetting is the tool currently in use (CVS)
does NOT have the required power/features to do branch maintence for
long periods, or sustain multiple branches. Some of the aftermath of
this mega-merge by Jordan is proof (you can't tell when branch tags
were added, for example).

It may look nice and rosy for people who just sup/ctm/ftp the source
tree from the -stable branch every so often and work from that, but
for people actually using it day-to-day in this situation it's far
from nice. If nothing else, you really need 2 full source trees
checked out all the time (one from -stable, one from -current). That's
about 250Mb's of disk space down the drain right away, which on
freefall, where you have multiple people working on both trees, is a
very big issue.

The -stable branch has WAY outlived it's intended lifespan. Perhaps if
we actually got the releases out on time we could go back to a -stable
branch philosophy, as it won't be around for the year or so that this
one has... (no insult/offense intended to the release team, as I've
been involved to some extent or other with the past 3 releases, so I
know it's not an easy job)

Gary