Date:      Thu, 8 Mar 2001 01:55:58 +1030
From:      Greg Lewis <glewis@eyesbeyond.com>
To:        "Daniel M. Eischen" <eischen@vigrid.com>
Cc:        java@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Java and libc/libpthread

On Tue, Mar 06, 2001 at 01:02:10PM -0500, Daniel M. Eischen wrote:
> I'm currently working on an NxN libpthread implementation as
> an interim solution until we get KSEs.  The goal is to get
> this done before 5.0.

Great.  However, we'll need a solution thats relevant for 4.x for quite
a while to come I imagine.

> Unfortunately I don't have the time to help the Java porting
> effort, but I would like to hear about any problems the porters
> are having with our current libc and any expected problems from
> a libpthread that will act very similar to linuxthreads.

Ok.  Currently the patchsets only support green threads, which means
we're not using any native threading models at all.  However, this
will need to change for for 1.3 (it would also be nice to get them
into the 1.2.2 patchset).  We have some options on this front, and
I'd appreciate any thoughts you have on them.

1. Fuyuhiko Maruyama posted some patches to the list at one point to
   get 1.2.2 working with our current libc_r pthreads.  However, they
   were somewhat experimental and I don't believe anyone has addressed
   the issues Fuyuhiko noted regarding them.

2. One of the porting team has implemented a kernel module for 4.x
   that provides kernel threads via a Solaris-like thread interface.
   This is also experimental, but simple programs certainly work.

3. As I've been tinkering with the the 1.3 code I've so far been
   using the linuxthreads port to try and get native threads running
   as that means our code stays very very similar to the code for
   native threads under Linux.  I haven't succeeded with this yet,
   but I don't believe thats because it can't work (its just lack of
   time to debug things so far).

I guess to add to this, Bill Huey's port of 1.3 for BSDi uses their
libc_r equivalent as I understand it, so this may help our efforts
on that front.

--
Greg Lewis                            Email : glewis@eyesbeyond.com
Eyes Beyond                           Mobile: 0419 868 494