Date:      28 Jan 96 09:18:24 EST
From:      Adrian Neville <101603.1662@compuserve.com>
To:        freebsd-questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Kernal build failed - _hw_float undefined

Hi,

I have just installed freebsd 2.0.5 off the walnut creek cdrom onto a 75mhz
pentium with 16mb memory, 1gb eide disk and panasonic cdrom drive attached to a
soundblaster card.

I have done an install of everything including sources.

I am unable to boot without disabling most of the kernal drivers using boot -c,
if i don't do this the monitor seems to loose it vertical hold and i just see
scrolling lines.

When attempting to build a tuned kernal it gets to near the end then fails with
the error

kern_sysctl.o: undefined symbol '_hw_float' referenced from text segment
*** error code 1

Has anyone seen this before / does anyone know a fix.

also when attempting to start  X11 (via startx) i get the error "no screens"
just at the point you would expect X11 to start, what exactly does "no screens"
mean, have i removed to many drivers from the kernal.

I have grep'ed thru the FAQ's and will continue looking thru the documentation
but if anyone has a quick answer i would be very grateful

Thanks in advance.

Adrian

Adrian Neville  101603,1662@compuserv.com