Date:      Tue, 9 May 1995 18:11:06 +0200
From:      peppe@unipg.it (Giuseppe Vitillaro)
To:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Intel Plato Premiere PCI/II and edge/level triggered IRQs

I have problem with SCSI timeouts under FreeBSD 2.0
SNAP950412 in a system composed basically of an
Intel Plato P90 Premier PCI II (Neptune chipset)
and a PCI Adaptec 2940.

For what I read until now under freebsd,linux groups
seems that the MB I'm testing use edge-triggered IRQ
rather than level-sensitive on the PCI bus.

This is confirmed too from an online manual for
this board I found on gatekeeper.dec.com. It claims
that the version of BIOS I use now setup the card for edge-triggerd IRQ.
This was not true evidentily for previous versions.

This seems confirmed too from the fact that using
FreeBSD-current aic7* drivers that report IRQ status as edge-triggered
the system behave correctly.

Questions:

  (1) Anyone may confirm this is correct for this
      particular MB?

  (2) Are there any way to setup the MB for use
      level-sensitive IRQS?

  (3) In the case answer to question (2) is "impossible"
      it would be "safe" to buy a mother in this conditions?

  (4) Should the kernel for this MB compiled with PCI_EDGE_INT
      and what would be the perfomance penalization?

Thanks, Peppe.