Date:      Wed, 20 Jun 2001 11:33:40 -0700
From:      Gary Kline <kline@tao.thought.org>
To:        Bill Moran <wmoran@iowna.com>
Cc:        Stephen Cass <s.cass@ieee.org>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: IEEE Journalist looking for facts about Microsoft use of BSDcode

On Wed, Jun 20, 2001 at 01:39:17PM -0400, Bill Moran wrote:
> Just thought of this ...
> I seem to remember fyodor (http://www.insecure.org) stating in one of
> his explanations on the working of nmap, that win95, win98 and win NT
> displayed reactions to probing that were almost identical to FreeBSD -
> to the degree that his conclusion was that these products must be using
> the same code as FreeBSD. I don't remember exactly where it was on the
> site, so you'll have to hunt ... another option is to contact fyodor
> directly (fyodor@insecure.org)
> Keep in mind that without contacting someone at Microsoft it will be
> difficult to prove, since the software license on the FreeBSD code would
> allow Microsoft (or any company) to use the code, resell it and never
> give credit to the original source.
>
> Please be sure to send us all a link to your article when it's ready.
>
> -Bill

		I missed this because for unknown reasons, my
		sendmail mysteriously quit working....  (hmmmmm!)

		On my website is a link to another article re M$
		using FreeBSD code.   ...Obviously, Microsoft and
		anybody else has completely unencumbered rights
		to use the code, though.

		gary

   Gary D. Kline    kline@thought.org  www.thought.org    Public service Unix