Date:      Sun, 21 Dec 1997 02:40:33 +0000
From:      "Þorður Ivarsson" <totii@est.is>
To:        Red Hat <oneredhat@hotmail.com>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Problem with fs on IDE !!! Pls, HELP !!! Urgent !

Red Hat wrote:

> Hello!!!
>
> I hope someone will help this time too:)
>
> I have FreeBSD 2.2.1 installed on a PC with the following
> config:
>
> Asus TXP4 motherboard
> 64MB SDRAM
> Pentium 233MMX
> AHA2490UW
> Quantum Atlas II SCSI HHD
> 3c509 3com Ethernet combo card
> S3 765 video card
> some SCSI cd-rom (a good one)
>
> It works ( or worked ?) just fine. But now i decided to
> add an IDE  drive for some not so important data backup
> and data exchange (the IDE HDD is installed in a removable rack)
>
> So, since the HDD was totaly new one, i ran /stand/sysinstall
> Created a new slice, then went back to lable editor and
> created there a file system which is mounted in /backup, and
> there i encountered a problem! It could not mount an fs and said
> that partition was not ready.
>
> Then i tried to do the whole thing manually using
> newfs, disklable and mount.. same stuff, eveything works, but
> mount says that the partition is not ready ane cannot mount it.
>
> Since i needed that backup disk really badly, i decided to install
> a new FreeBSD system on another pc (i had to do it anyway), and
> before i installed it there, I put this HDD in it, so the install would
> create a new fs  on it as well as all others. The machine i was going
> to install bsd on was the same config, except it didn't have
> scsi at all. It had ide hdd and ide cd-rom.
>
> When i started install, i got the same problem. First after parttion
> editor it said everything is ok, but when i pressed W in labeleditor
> i said it cannot access swap partition cuz the device wasn't configured
> and
> then it said that root fs cannot be created at all. Tty1 said that
> partition 'a' was not ready. I tried installing several times, changed
> geometry between what install detected and what it really is,
> tried not changing partitions and went to fs editor. Then it actually
> worked
> for some time (install root fs and swap), but said that it cannot mount
> /usr
> cuz device is not ready. I tried installing from a bootable CD-ROM, and
> from
> bootable flopy from cdrom, from scisi cdrom. All the same.
>
> I don't have a clue what is going on. Sometime ago I installed FreeBSD
> 2.1.5
> without any problem at home on a fully IDE pc. All of that i tried to do
> with
> WD 31200 and Quantum Fireball HDDs.
>
> If someone has a smallest idea what is going on, please respond! There
> must
> be
> life out there!
>
> HELP!

I think bug is annoying you but I recall similar problem and the
solution is to do installation the other way around.

Be sure you have kernel with wd0 driver.

Connect the disk to the computer and start it.

See if the disk is probed correctly.

Let the OS finish its job and log in as root

check if there is wd0 device file in /dev create if it is not there and
start sysinstall.

Now enter manual configuration.

Choose to allocate space for OS

Choose the correct disk.

Now the tricky part - quit in fdisk without doing anyting! and go to the
disklabel instead and finish disklabeling and then go back to the fdisk
and create partition, write it with W, and to back again to disklabel
and write there also. Bingo! (I think/hope) and the disk will be
newfs-ed automaticaly.

Create entry for the disk in /etc/fstab if it will not be writen.

I hope this helps.

--
Þórður Ívarsson		Thordur Ivarsson
Rafeindavirki		Electronic technician

FreeBSD has good features,
Some others are full of unwanted features!