Date:      Sun, 16 Jan 2005 13:57:15 +0100
From:      "Colin J. Raven" <colin@kenmore.kozy-kabin.nl>
To:        Dave Horsfall <dave@horsfall.org>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: 5.3 Install

On Jan 16 at 23:14, Dave Horsfall launched this into the bitstream:

> On Sun, 16 Jan 2005, Colin J. Raven wrote:
>
>> [RHETORICAL_MODE=ON]
>> Where, I wonder, are all these folks suddenly coming from?
>> [SUPREME_IRONY_MODE=ON]
>> Well anyway, it's nice to know I'm a grizzled old graybeard unix admin.
>
> I'll bet my beard's greyer than yours!  Edition 5, on a PDP-11/40, in
> 1975.

Done, you win. Unconditionally!

I've only been *nix'ing (?) for a few years. I first *saw* a Unix server
in 1994..and that was a BSD oddly enough. IIRC I *think* it was BSDI. I
thought it was some form of black magic. I had no contact whatsoever
from an admin point of view for a number of years, except as a shell
account user which was handy enough to learn the basics (and become
addicted to shell). Then around '99 I started periodically installing
some Linux or BSD version on a Frankenputer occasionally to see what was
what. I got serious about BSD in 2003 when a colleague installed it on a
shared datacenter based server. Then recently I installed 5.3 at home
and that's it...I'm hooked...there's no going back now :)

Regards,
-Colin
--
Colin J. Raven