Date:      Fri, 05 Nov 1999 04:43:03 +0100
From:      Roelof Osinga <roelof@nisser.com>
To:        FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   how to boot from floppy disk?

Having been spoiled by slackware which sports a handy facility that
allows one to boot from a couple of floppy disks but still have the
root be the winchester, I'm wondering if such a trick can be done
with FreeBSD as well.

What I've tried thusfar is to boot the kernel diskette, then let it load
the MFS root disk. At the prompt "Hit [Enter] to boot ..." I press space.
At the prompt I give "rootdev=disk1s1a:", followed by "boot -c". This
sort of works. I mean, I can eject the floppy before executing the boot
command and it'll still boot. Clearly from the winchester.

So far so good. It breaks down after the system has been loaded. At which
time the sysinstall Main Menu comes up. I can live with that, but what I
can without is the fact that it reboots the machine upon exit.

Even that wouldn't have been so bad had the emergency shell at least had
the decency to have the intended root. It doesn't. The fixit option is also
pretty much useless for my purposes in that it roots to the floppy disk.

Therefore, is it possible to boot from floppy and if so, how?

Roelof

--
Home is where the (@) http://eboa.com/ is.