Date:      Sat, 8 Jul 2000 23:50:14 -0600
From:      "Kenneth D. Merry" <ken@kdm.org>
To:        Mike Silbersack <silby@silby.com>
Cc:        net@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: new zero copy sockets and NFS patches

On Sun, Jul 09, 2000 at 00:41:01 -0500, Mike Silbersack wrote:
> On Sat, 8 Jul 2000, Kenneth D. Merry wrote:
>
> > http://people.FreeBSD.ORG/~ken/zero_copy/
> >
> > Feedback would be very welcome, we haven't gotten much response on this
> > yet.
>
> Please put up graphs showing the performance increase; it's difficult to
> understand the results you've posted so far, which may explain the general
> lack of excitement.

True enough, graphs help.

Check out this paper:

http://www.cs.duke.edu/ari/publications/end-system.pdf

It is linked off the Trapeze publications page:

http://www.cs.duke.edu/ari/publications/publications.html

The above paper covers the performance benefits of zero copy, checksum
offloading, larger MTUs, etc., and includes several graphs demonstrating
the effect of those optimizations.

The zero copy code used there is pretty much the same as the patches
above.

Ken
--
Kenneth Merry