Date:      Fri, 13 Oct 2006 18:20:53 +0200
From:      =?iso-8859-1?Q?Cl=E9ment_Moulin?= <cmoulin@simplerezo.com>
To:        <freebsd-security@freebsd.org>
Subject:   RE: I cannot upgrade openssl-stablr

Dirk Meyer a =E9crit:

>OPENSSL_OVERWRITE_BASE=3Dyes
>sould be used with extreme caution!
>
>This might break your base application in cases like this, when the =
base
uses a diffrent api as the ports does.

That's totally true.

I was wondering if, to avoid ports problem with openssl (and maybe some =
over
libs/important parts) - because somes refers directly to the openssl =
base,
others to the ports one -, we might try to find a way to have openssl - =
in
future release - in the base system being like a pre-installed port.

It will be very hopeful too when security issues are discovered, because
instead of patching the system base (and rebuilding the world...) we =
have
only to do a portupgrade... Saving times :)
An other interest in doing this, is that the system will be reported
unsecure by portaudit...

OpenSSH should have the same treatment :)

--
Cl=E9ment Moulin
SimpleRezo