Date:      Sat, 9 Nov 2002 14:46:43 -0500
From:      "Rouzer, Charles A (Chuck)" <car@vitalit.com>
To:        <freebsd-cluster@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   iSCSI driver (Re: clustering freebsd)

       You can have two machines share a single physical SCSI bus which
would allow two machines to share a RAID or JBOD.   IMO, it would be risky
to load balance between the two machines running the same applications
because of data consistency.  It  would be good for fail-over though.
Unfortunately there aren't many open-source apps (databases being the most
critical) that provide high availability.  I do believe PostgreSQL is
working to provide replication, but this isn't needed if FreeBSD eventually
gets its own iSCSI driver.

        I checked with the author of Vinum (FreeBSD software RAID).   You
could create remote (WAN) synchronous mirroring by using iSCSI and software
RAID (Vinum) for mirroring the data between the local drive and a remote
iSCSI drive.

Chuck