Date:      Wed, 19 Jul 2006 12:22:18 +0300
From:      "Adrian Penisoara" <ady@freebsd.ady.ro>
To:        "George Mamalakis" <mamalos@lan.gr>
Cc:        freebsd-security@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: UDP connection attempts

Hi,

$ grep "\<512/udp" /etc/services
biff            512/udp    comsat       #used by mail system to notify users

  So basicly you got a process (most likely your local MTA) sending
notifications for incoming new mails to the comsat service (which by default
is disabled in /etc/inetd.conf).

  Either adjust your firewall to allow such notifications (UDP packets
towards port 512 on subnet 127.0.0.0/8 through lo0 interface) or disable
notification from your mail delivery agent.

Best regards,
Adrian Penisoara
Ady (@freebsd.ady.ro)