Date:      Tue, 12 Jul 2011 15:38:49 +0100
From:      Tom Evans <tevans.uk@googlemail.com>
To:        Chris Rees <crees@freebsd.org>
Cc:        freebsd-fs@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Improving old-fashioned UFS2 performance with lots of inodes...

On Tue, Jul 12, 2011 at 3:06 PM, Chris Rees <crees@freebsd.org> wrote:
> On 28 June 2011 02:08, Jeremy Chadwick <freebsd@jdc.parodius.com> wrote:
>>
>> On what exact OS version? =C2=A0Please don't say "8.2", need to know
>> 8.2-RELEASE, -STABLE, or what. =C2=A0You said "8.x" above, which is too
>> vague. =C2=A0If 8.2-STABLE you should not be tuning vm.kmem_size_max at =
all,
>> and you probably don't need to tune vm.kmem_size either.
>
> We don't do 8.2-STABLE, it's 8-STABLE.... Are you referring to the
> difference between RELENG_8_2 and RELENG_8_2_0_RELEASE?
>
> Chris

I've heard this mantra repeated before on list. If this is in fact
true, then something needs to change so that uname -r agrees:

> $ svn info | grep URL ; uname -r
8.2-STABLE

As far as the OS is concerned, 8.2-STABLE is RELENG_8 sometime between
when RELENG_8_2 was branched and when RELENG_8_3 will be branched, and
is an entirely legit description. IMO, just because it does not
correspond to a specific branch or tag does not leave it without
meaning.

Cheers

Tom