Date:      Fri, 15 Jul 2005 06:44:52 +0900 (JST)
From:      Ito Kazumitsu <kaz@maczuka.gcd.org>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: trouble booting 5.4 installation media (repost)

Hi,

On Fri May 27 02:27:35 PDT 2005, dave dmehler26 at woh.rr.com wrote:

>     Didn't get a response so i'm going to try this again. I'm trying to do a
> fresh install of 5.4 on a test machine, which previously ran 5.3 just fine.
> I'm doing the install via a serial terminal as this box is headless and off
> of an nfs server which i've also prepared identically to 5.3. I have made
> the three floppies, boot.flp and the two kern*.flp disks, then mounted
> boot.flp and created a boot.config file on it with "-h" so i get output on
> serial port1. All this works fine, i am prompted to switch disks to the two
> kern* disks, again no problems. When i put in boot.flp after being prompted
> after kern2.flp i get a repeating error, which is below from sysinstall and
> the process goes no further. At first i thought it was a problem with the
> downloaded iso image, so i checked the md5 signatures, they matched, then i
> rewrote the floppy in question, on 4 different disks with the same result.
>
> Insert boot floppy and press Enter
> /acpi.ko text=0x414fc data=0x1dc4+0x112c syms=[0x4+0x7670+0x4+0x9d05]
> zf_read: fill error
>
> spec_getpages:(md0) I/O read failure: (error=5) bp 0xc94fb9ec vp 0xc1d42d68
>                size: 36864, resid: 36864, a_count: 36864, valid: 0x0
>                nread: 0, reqpage: 0, pindex: 459, pcount: 9
> vm_fault: pager read error, pid 1 (sysinstall)

I experienced the same problem while trying to install 5.4-RELEASE.
I also made many sets of floppy disks and got the same result.

I thought there must be some problem in 5.4-RELEASE, but Google search
for "zf_read fill error" made me convinced that the problem existed in
my floppy disks, and not in 5.4-RELEASE.

So I made boot.flp and kern*.flp on another machine. Then the installation
went without problem!