Date:      Fri, 02 Jun 2006 05:04:15 -0500
From:      Kevin Kinsey <kdk@daleco.biz>
To:        "Travis H." <solinym@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: is vinum in FBSD 6.0?

Travis H. wrote:

> Is there some kind of IP lawsuit over vinum or something?

If so, it's never been mentioned ;-)

It's a valid question, but I don't think Greg's that kind
of guy.  As for Veritas, I *think* they had some sort of
agreement (re: the name), (but I could be blowing smoke there);
IIRC, vinum(8) was "patterned after the idea of" the
Veritas software, and not in any way a "copy" or "clone" of it....

As others have stated, vinum has been replaced by "gvinum".
Greg had stated in the past that the GEOM layer's introduction
had "badly broken vinum", so I'm guessing that vinum was removed
so that no one would attempt to use it on a newer system and
get "unexpected" results.

My $0.02, IANAL, IANAE, etc.,

Kevin Kinsey

--
It is now 10 p.m.  Do you know where Henry Kissinger is?
		-- Elizabeth Carpenter