Date:      Thu, 14 Nov 96 14:22:43 +0100
From:      cracauer@wavehh.hanse.de (Martin Cracauer)
To:        dubois@primate.wisc.EDU
Cc:        freebsd-chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: GigaByte GA-586DX-512 Motherboard

>> Oh wow ! Thanks for correcting me. BTW, the German PC magazine C't made
>> a harddisk test, they also gave information about the noise, the several
>> disks produce (in DB and a sone factor). Be careful if you want to get
>> a 4GB harddisk with 7200 U/min for home environment.

>Doesn't have to be 4GB.  I had a Digital 1GB 7200RPM drive that finally drove
>me nuts and that I replaced last week with a 4500RPM Quantum.

My god, it can't be that hard to build a harddisk with a potentiometer
to set the speed (or maximum acceptable noise), or what :-)

Regarding the problem some older disks have to start up, we (BSD UG
Hamburg) are sure they may be solved by using a starter rope (whatever
that is called in english) like chainsaws have. Only those guys who
designed the new ATX form factor obviously didn't knew about it and
there are no holes in the cases for it :-(

Now back to coding...

Martin
--
Martin Cracauer <cracauer@wavehh.hanse.de>  http://cracauer.cons.org