Date:      Mon, 23 Jun 2008 20:40:30 +0300
From:      =?UTF-8?B?U29yaW4gUMOibmNh?= <sorin.panca@psrk.com>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Failure building apache22 and mysql51

Jeremy Chadwick wrote:
> On Mon, Jun 23, 2008 at 06:43:04PM +0300, Sorin P�nca wrote:
>> Hello people!
>> I recently upgraded a amd64 machine from FreeBSD-6.2-RELEASE-p11 to
>> FreeBSD-7.0-RELEASE-p2 using the tutorial found at
>> http://www.daemonology.net/blog/2007-11-11-freebsd-major-version-upgrade.html
>> All went well with the base system.
>
> I'm doubting that greatly.

Well... they compiled successfully twice (once by doing portupgrade -a,
and once by doing portupgrade -af - there were some complaines about
some perl modules that we installed by cpan) and then a portupgrade
-aPPR finished successfully...
Anyway, how do I check everything is clean and working or how do I
recompile the pthread part (library) of the system to ensure it's linked
against the proper libraries?

> Both ports you're trying to build rely on pthread, and both die in the
> same way:
>
>> /usr/bin/ld: /usr/lib/libpthread.a(thr_mutex.o): relocation R_X86_64_32 can not be used when making a shared object; recompile with -fPIC
>> /usr/lib/libpthread.a: could not read symbols: Bad value
>>
>> /usr/bin/ld: /usr/lib/libpthread.a(thr_syscalls.o): relocation R_X86_64_32S can not be used when making a shared object; recompile with -fPIC
>> /usr/lib/libpthread.a: could not read symbols: Bad value

I agree. That's why I posted both of them.

Is my question good or bad? I'm not a programmer, so I really try hard
to understand what is happening...

Sorin.