Date:      Sat, 27 Jun 1998 09:51:59 +0000 (GMT)
From:      "Jason C. Wells" <jcwells@u.washington.edu>
To:        Eivind Eklund <eivind@yes.no>
Cc:        freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Does it's true?

On Sat, 27 Jun 1998, Eivind Eklund wrote:

>where it is considered OK to murder people.  (If you, the reader, say
>to yourself that you don't consider it OK, then you'd better be
>actively opposing the use of death penalty - otherwise you've just
>turned your logic off in what you say to yourself)

This statement presumes that execution is murder. Execution is a lawful
punishment in the United States.

Not everything that causes death is murder. Not even everything that
causes a wrongful death is murder. In the United States we divvy out
justice based on "mens rea" or criminal intent. A cold blooded killer is
guilty of a capital offense whereas a negligent causer of death is guilty
of a less than capital offensel.

The people of the United States reserve the lawful right to punish the
capital offender by death. Until the people change this law, execution
will not be murder.

It is never OK to murder people. No one in the US will say it is. Of
course, as you can see by my discussion, which act consitutes a murder is
subject to debate.

Catchya Later,		|	UW Mechanical Engineering
Jason Wells		|	http://weber.u.washington.edu/~jcwells/