Date:      Thu, 1 Jul 1999 16:49:57 -0500
From:      "Scot W. Hetzel" <hetzels@westbend.net>
To:        "Paul Stewart" <paul@premier-networks.com>
Cc:        <freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Frontpage Server Installation Problems

From: Paul Stewart <paul@premier-networks.com>
> I am trying to install the latest port of Apache-1.3.6 with Frontpage
> extentions.. the port installs perfectly except the httpd doesn't get
> patched therefore nobody can connect....
>
> Can someone help.. I'm on a very short deadline for clients and the only
> patched version I can find is in the frontpage server distribution and
> it's 1.2.5 apache

What do you mean the server doesn't get patched?  Check the error log, it
should show:

[Sat Jun 12 19:22:34 1999] [notice] Apache/1.3.6 (Unix) FrontPage/3.0.4.3
configured -- resuming normal operations

If you don't see this, the check /usr/local/libexec/apache for
mod_frontpage.*.  If you don't see it then you didn't install the
apache13-fp port.

When you installed Apache13-fp, did you install over a previous
configuration or is it a fresh install?

Next check your httpd.conf file, is mod_frontpage listed in the LoadModule &
AddModule sections:

LoadModule frontpage_module   libexec/apache/mod_frontpage.so

and

AddModule mod_frontpage.c

The ports default httpd.conf file uses IfDefine directives to change the
configuration:
<IfDefine FRONTPAGE>
:
:
</IfDefine>

This requires the Apache server to be started as "httpd -DFRONTPAGE", in
order to use  the FrontPage Extentions.

Check your servers startup script (/usr/local/etc/rc.d/apache.sh), does it
start the server with -DFRONTPAGE.  If it doesn't you may want to replace it
with the apache.sh.tmpl script.

NOTE: Every time the server is started by the apache.sh.tmpl script it will
generate a new key file for the frontpage extentions. This is used to
prevent individuals from acquiring the key.

Scot