Date:      Thu, 15 Jul 2004 16:04:07 -0700
From:      4Front Technologies <dev@opensound.com>
To:        conrads@cox.net
Cc:        freebsd-multimedia@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Does anyone compose music using any of theportsfromthe/ports/audio collection in FreeBSD?

Conrad J. Sabatier wrote:

> Speaking of which, I was browsing 4Front's site the other day and was a
> little disappointed to see that even the existing FreeBSD support is
> not available for amd64.  Is that likely to change anytime in the
> future?

Hi Conrad,

I just got FreeBSD/AMD64 installed however the KLD support isn't working or
implemented. Just to make sure that it wasn't an OSS issue, I tried using the
/usr/share/examples/kld/cdev as a test to see and it fails as well. I just
asked a question on freebsd-amd64 to see if anybody had ideas:

> We are trying to get Open Sound System modules compiled under FreeBSD/AMD64.
> I looked at the /usr/share/examples/kld/cdev example and it fails to link:
>
> ld: cdev.kld: relocation R_X86_64_32S can not be used when making a shared object; recompile with -fPIC
> cdev.kld: could not read symbols: Bad value
>
> If I add -fPIC to the compile files (I have to remove -mcmodel=kernel and -no-redzone) then the module links but running kldload cdev.ko causes:
>
> kldload: unexpected relocation type 7
> link_elf: symbol copyinstr undefined
>
> We are seeing the same problems in our OSS modules. So is there any work going on to add KLD support for FreeBSD/AMD64?

So looks like OSS support for FreeBSD/AMD64 cannot progress until KLDs work.

best regards

Dev Mazumdar
4Front Technologies
4035 Lafayette Place, Unit F, Culver City, CA 90232, USA.
Tel: (310) 202 8530		URL: www.opensound.com
Fax: (310) 202 0496 		Email: info@opensound.com