Date:      26 Nov 2003 09:12:20 -0500
From:      Lowell Gilbert <freebsd-questions-local@be-well.ilk.org>
To:        mehrdad nosrati <nosratien@yahoo.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: number of rules

mehrdad nosrati <nosratien@yahoo.com> writes:

> I'm new on ur mailling list.At present I'have a dull
> processor(P-4 1000) with 1Gbyte RAM PC.The OS is
> FreeBSD.I run 60,000 filtering rule on it!.
> My band width is 2.5Mb/s.I want to have a band width
> about 10Mbs.I want to know what type Hard-Ware I need.
> What version of FreeBSD OS is propose?

The total number of rules isn't really relevant; the important thing
is more likely to be the number that get evaluated by the average
packet.  If you really need to run tens of thousands of rules against
each packet, you may need to do your own investigation to determine
your hardware requirements -- you're into a range of behaviour neither
common nor particularly recommended.