Date:      Sun, 15 Apr 2012 12:58:52 +0000 (UTC)
From:      vermaden <vermaden@interia.pl>
To:        Matthew Seaman <matthew@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        freebsd-fs@FreeBSD.org, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Mounting from zfs:system/ROOT/nch failed with error 2

Hi, thanks for fast response, here is the recipe I used ...

"Matthew Seaman" <matthew@FreeBSD.org> pisze:
> On 15/04/2012 10:23, vermaden wrote:
> > I have a system that successfully booted from system/ROOT/default,
> > but now failed with system/ROOT/nch (other ROOT installation),
> > it ends with ERROR 2, what does ERROR 2 means?
>=20
> Setting up for use with boot environments?  Can you describe how you did
> this, or at least point us towards a recipe you followed?

# gpart destroy -F ada0
# gpart create -s GPT ada0
# gpart add -t freebsd-boot -l bootcode -s 128k ada0
# gpart add -t freebsd-zfs -l system ada0
# gpart bootcode -b /boot/pmbr -p /boot/gptzfsboot -i 1 ada0
# zpool create -f -o cachefile=3D/tmp/zpool.cache system gpt/system
# zfs create system/ROOT
# zfs create system/ROOT/default
# zfs set mountpoint=3Dnone system
# zfs set mountpoint=3Dnone system/ROOT
# zfs set mountpoint=3D/mnt system/ROOT/default
# zpool set bootfs=3Dsystem/ROOT/default system
# cd /usr/freebsd-dist/
# sh
sh# for I in base* kernel*; do tar --unlink -xvpJf $I -C /mnt; done
sh# CTRL-D
# cp /tmp/zpool.cache /mnt/boot/zfs/
# cat > /mnt/boot/loader.conf << EOF
# zfs_load=3DYES
# vfs.root.mountfrom=3D"zfs:sys/ROOT/default"
# EOF
# cat > /mnt/etc/rc.conf << EOF
# zfs_enable=3DYES
# EOF
# :> /mnt/etc/fstab
# zfs umount -a
# zfs set mountpoint=3Dlegacy sys/ROOT/default

Then, from the OTHER system installed with this same
instructions I moved this OTHER system 'nch' bootable
environment with zfs send | ssh zfs recv to this server
and set in /boot/loader.conf 'nch' mount
vfs.root.mountfrom=3D"zfs:sys/ROOT/nch" and also
zpool set bootfs=3Dzfs:sys/ROOT/nch" then reboot
and got this error.

> > Its 9.0-RELEASE.
>=20
> Good.  However, not particularly pertinent to the problem at hand.
>=20
> If we are to help you work out what went wrong, we will need a tad more
> information than you have supplied.  Primarily at what point in the boot
> sequence did it go wrong?  Before the BSD Logo menu screen?  During the
> kernel initialization (ie. while it was printing bright white text) or
> after (grey coloured text)?  Were there any other error messages printed
> on the console?

Loader starts, modules are shown, menu is shown, the boot after
timeout starts normal boot, hardware is detected (disks/nics/...),
and when it comes to trying to mount root from I get this error.

> 	Cheers,
>=20
> 	Matthew
>=20
> --=20
> Dr Matthew J Seaman MA, D.Phil.
> PGP: http://www.infracaninophile.co.uk/pgpkey

Also, I have restored that system with booting form FreeBSD 9.0
ISO and specyfyjng:
# zpool import system
# zfs set mountpoint=3D/ system/ROOT/nch
now it works, but it should also work with LEGACY set as
mountpoint ...

Is it a bug or maybe I have done wrong something?

Regards,
vermaden