Date:      Mon, 13 Aug 2018 19:19:54 +0200
From:      Roger Pau =?utf-8?B?TW9ubsOp?= <royger@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Kai Otto <kai_otto@duckster.net>
Cc:        freebsd-xen@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: HEADS UP: merged PVHv2 support and future plans

On Mon, Aug 13, 2018 at 05:24:04PM +0200, Kai Otto wrote:
> On 30/07/18 12:19, Roger Pau Monné wrote:
> > Packages for Xen 4.11 are now available in pkg.
> >
> > Remember that in order to use those you need a very recent FreeBSD
> > kernel (r336475 or newer) and the Xen command line has slightly changed,
> > so dom0=pvh must be used instead of dom0pvh in order to boot. I will
> > see about changing this in the handbook.
> >
> > Roger.
> >

> Hi Roger,
> I tried to get some VMs running on
> FreeBSD-12.0-CURRENT-amd64-20180802-r337160.
> System is a Supermicro X9DRi-LN4F+ mainboard with dual Intel E5-2680v2
> (ivy bridge).
>
> When using xen-tools47/xen-kernel47, during boot of dom0, I only get the
> error seen in the attached png ("d0v0 Triple fault").
>

> When using xen-tools411/xen-kernel411, I can boot without problems, but
> when running "xl create", neither a PVH nor HVM config work (see configs
> and logs attached).
> They both throw "libxl: info:
> libxl_create.c:109:libxl__domain_build_info_setdefault: qemu-xen is
> unavailable, using qemu-xen-traditional instead: No such file or directory"

Hello,

This is a mistake of the port makefile which should be fixed in
r477080 that I've just committed. I hope updated packages will be
generated soon. Thanks for the testing!

> Which doesn't make much sense to me, as PVH shouldn't use qemu at all?

Some PVH guests will use QEMU in order to run the PV disk backend or
the PV framebuffer (vfb), but PVH won't have any of the emulated
devices by QEMU.

Roger.