Date:      Tue, 28 Nov 2017 14:11:10 -0800
From:      freebsd@johnea.net
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: The future of fortune(6)

On 2017-11-26 21:46, Cy Schubert wrote:
> In message <307f8e8d0ad15d2d00e74a9b602c8c19@udns.ultimatedns.net>, "Chris H" writes:

This statement is factually incorrect.

It just is not the case.

I've received fortune in email every morning for about 14 years. That's well over 5000 fortunes. I've never seen even vaguely offensive content.

The default settings do not deliver patently offensive content, period.

>>> It's 2017. If Red Hat doesn't support fortune why should we?
>> OK this is the 2nd time you've said that, and I'm afraid I'm going to have to
>> respond. :)
>> FreeBSD is *not* Red Hat, nor any other "flavor" of Linux. Who cares if some
>> other flavor of OS does, or does not "do it".
>> Sorry. I *greatly* appreciate that FreeBSD is /different/ than all the Linux
>> flavors, and would dearly hate that it felt that it should feel/be "Linux lik
>> e".
>> Over sensitive? Perhaps. But I simply couldn't resist.
>>
>> I'm done now. :)
>
> Of course FreeBSD isn't a Linux distro however RH has probably learned that
> contentious issues like this aren't worth the risk and exposure and the
> cost of supporting such software. FreeBSD is a volunteer effort.
> Unnecessary software still exacts a cost even in an environment like ours.

I have to agree with the negative reaction to the Red Hat comparison.

Saying that FreeBSD obviously isn't linux doesn't address the concern over this comparison.

If you think fortune is a flame war lightning rod, maybe you haven't heard of systemd?

systemd is a Red Hat product.

There are many different reasons for the controversy over systemd. One of them is that it removes the individuality of adopting distributions, making them more uniform. The corporation in charge of that uniformity being Red Hat.

People don't like the elimination of fortune for the same reason they didn't like the politically-correct-ification of beastie: It makes the OS seem less like something made by individuals for individuals, and more like a polished, "risk and exposure" averse, corporate product. In a word, dehumanized.

johnea