Date:      Sun, 28 Jun 1998 19:09:30 -0600 (MDT)
From:      Wes Peters <wes@softweyr.com>
To:        jcwells@u.washington.edu, jmb@FreeBSD.ORG, grog@lemis.com
Cc:        fpawlak@execpc.com, drifter@stratos.net, freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Tiananmen square (was: Does it's true?)

My hidden microphone recorded Greg Lehey (grog@lemis.com) saying:

% 2.  India is in complete political and economic chaos, the result of
%     50 years of "democracy" in a country which can't handle it.  The
%     average tenure of an Indian government is less than 12 months.  In
%     view of the level-headed government they're currently getting,
%     let's hope that this remains true.

Ah, yes, democracy - the system of goverment in which three wolves and sheep
get to vote on what to have for dinner.  I'm certainly glad I don't live in
one.  Fortunately, the founding fathers of the USA realized democracy for the
failure it is, and created a Republic that has stood the test of time, because
so many are willing to protect and die for the ideals by which we live.  If
you haven't read the Constitution of the United States of America, or even
haven't read it recently, it's a pretty good read.  Makes for a pretty good
government, too, if you can only get the buearocrats (and the people) to
follow it.

% 3.  Russia is in turmoil.  The government is no longer in control, and
%     crime is rife.
%
% On the whole, if I had the choice of living only in one of the four
% locations above, I'd choose Beijing.

Not if you had to live in a mud house with no facilities, and work at a job
the state assigned to you, only to find that the police killed your wife for
commiting the heinous crime of having a second child.  Let's not forget where
the criminals in China are - the government itself.