Date:      Wed, 10 May 1995 07:03:42 -0700 (PDT)
From:      "Rodney W. Grimes" <rgrimes@gndrsh.aac.dev.com>
To:        doc@freebsd.org
Subject:   Here is my How to UCB copyright a work....

John said I should fire this off to this list, so here it is.

I realize now that a few of my %% tokens are US specific, perhaps a
few times around the block with some internation folks might clear
up just what ``%%your_state%%  %%your_zip%%'' should become.  Note
my choices here are very specific to what is required under US law
for a valid copyright.

> > I have another contribution for it, but perhaps this is FAQ material,
> > ``How to place code under a UCB style copyright, complete with a
> >  sample ready to edit''.
>
> This is certainly FAQ grade stuff.  Could you send me a copy, I have a
> couple of people hanging on this issue, and I needed to write something
> about this part...

Here you go...

To place a UCB style copyright on your work please place the following
text as the very first lines in your file.  You should then search for
%% and replace the string bounded by %% with a reasonable value.

Note that this is my version of the UCB copyright, it is slightly more
protective by making sure that your attribution as the original copyright
holder stays at the top of the file.  For FreeBSD we would prefer you
to use this with out changing any of the wording.

If your source code is not `C' you may need to change the comment
delimiters.

/*
 * Copyright (c) %%proper_years_here%%
 *	%%your_name_here%%, %%your_state%%  %%your_zip%%.  All rights reserved.
 *
 * are met:
 *    notice, this list of conditions and the following disclaimer as
 *    the first lines of this file unmodified.
 *    notice, this list of conditions and the following disclaimer in the
 *    documentation and/or other materials provided with the distribution.
 * 3. All advertising materials mentioning features or use of this software
 *    must display the following acknowledgment:
 *	This product includes software developed by %%your_name_here%%.
 * 4. The name of the author may not be used to endorse or promote products
 *    derived from this software without specific prior written permission.
 *
 * THIS SOFTWARE IS PROVIDED BY %%your_name_here%% ``AS IS'' AND ANY EXPRESS OR
 * IMPLIED WARRANTIES, INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES
 * OF MERCHANTABILITY AND FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE ARE DISCLAIMED.
 * IN NO EVENT SHALL %%your_name_here%% BE LIABLE FOR ANY DIRECT, INDIRECT,
 * INCIDENTAL, SPECIAL, EXEMPLARY, OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES (INCLUDING, BUT
 * NOT LIMITED TO, PROCUREMENT OF SUBSTITUTE GOODS OR SERVICES; LOSS OF USE,
 * DATA, OR PROFITS; OR BUSINESS INTERRUPTION) HOWEVER CAUSED AND ON ANY
 * THEORY OF LIABILITY, WHETHER IN CONTRACT, STRICT LIABILITY, OR TORT
 * (INCLUDING NEGLIGENCE OR OTHERWISE) ARISING IN ANY WAY OUT OF THE USE OF
 * THIS SOFTWARE, EVEN IF ADVISED OF THE POSSIBILITY OF SUCH DAMAGE.
 *
 *	$Id$
 */