Date:      Wed, 27 Jun 2001 10:39:10 -0500
From:      Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org>
To:        Andrew Reid <andrew.reid@plug.cx>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   RE: FreeBSD and surviving unclean shutdowns

Andrew Reid <andrew.reid@plug.cx> types:
> On 26 Jun 2001 03:04:40 -0700, Ted Mittelstaedt wrote:
> > The only problem with all this is that once the system shuts down it
> > won't automatically power back up.  (if it's a soft power up system)
> Only one of our servers has this function. It's an Intel Server board
> and it seems to be one of the few Motherboards that I've been able to
> source that features the 'auto-on' when there's power. Some of the
> workstations around here turn on automatically, but I think that's from
> being dropped or something :-)

This isn't really a problem - if your system shuts down because the
UPS ran out of power, you don't want it to power back up until you're
sure power is restored. Power flickers are common after an outage, so
having the system automatically power up after an outage could lead to
the power to cutting out while you're in the middle of fsck'ing your
file systems. This is very bad juju, and something you don't want to
happen.

Trusting the facility generator got me into that one once, which is
the only time in the last decade I've had a file system fried beyond
the point of restoration.

	<mike