Date:      Sat, 4 Jul 1998 18:55:06 +0000
From:      "Frank Pawlak" <fpawlak@execpc.com>
To:        Nicole Harrington <freelist@webweaver.net>, "Jan B. Koum" <jkb@best.com>
Cc:        advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG, Wes Peters <wes@softweyr.com>, Josef Grosch <jgrosch@superior.mooseriver.com>, "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
Subject:   Re: Advocates, speak up!  Any place you can!

On Jul 4,  9:55am, Nicole Harrington wrote:
> Subject: Re: Advocates, speak up!  Any place you can!
>
> On 04-Jul-98 Jan B. Koum wisely wrote:
> <SNIP>
> >
> >       I think my point got lost along the way here. We are making a case
> > to business people. People who wear suites. People who don't know what boot
> > sector is. They dont' know and dont' care what freebsd.org is or cdrom.com
> > is. They want examples where people made a lot of money using FreeBSD. I
> > think everything I list would qualify. Out of what you listed I think only
> > mediacity and moviedatabase qualify. Thanks. But do remember, we need
> > examples of people making BIG money with FreeBSD. Not simply running BIG
> > servers. We are not making our case to techies - we are making our case to
> > suit wearing public.
> >
> > -- Yan
> >

>  The reason FreeBSD is not so well known is because it is believed, somewhat
> rightly so, as not having a cool well known name. It is believed to appeal
only
> to techies.
>
>  If my company put out a Press Release stating that we where using FreeBSD,
> what percentage of the population would understand it? Most people also don't
> really know what Linux or Sun is, but they have heard the name, and that is
> often enough for them. They may then resort to dissecting the name and
saying, "
> they are using a Free Operating thingy, must be a cash starved or a cheap
> company. On a side note, the coolest name I have ever heard for an OS/Kernel
is
> the Mach4 Kernel, people don't have to understand it, it just sounds cool.
>
>  Hell lets face it, right now I would bet more people have heard of Linux
than
> BSDI and Free/Net/OpenBSD. We don't have the PR engine that they do. They
have
> thousands of members of the Linux Sheehad who's duty it is to share the word
> about Linux. Not to mention the companies selling the stuff, like Caldera,
who
> need to advertise.  Then of course the PR engines of the $$ Os's.
>
>  I believe collecting a list of Names is "A Good Thing"(tm) however it is
what
> we do with them that is important! We need to get companies to work with us
on
> this.
>
> A few suggestions:
>
> 1) Offering a adversing co-op deal. Every time they advertise using the
FreeBSD
> name they get some money. also the big deal these days seems to be to
"partner"
> with someone. How could they and what would they get for "Partnering" with
> FreeBSD? (think like a suit now..)
>
> 2) Advertising in well known Mags. Many of us are irritated at
> performance computing magazine for going so NT. But imagine an ad in it to
the
> tone of, what ever it can do, we can do it better!
>
> 3) Overall, do more Guerilla advertising. Which means taking advantage of
every
> Free advertising venue possible. BSDI advertises and is still largely unknown
> becouse they Only seem to target Techie Venues. While this is a good core
start.
> You need to put the name under the noses of the comman people to
> reach the suits.
>
> 4) Just as we have the core development team, we need a core marketing team.

These are all great ideas and deserve serious consideration.  As to your #4, a
few months ago, sometime in march if memory serves, I gave that a shot.  In
general it died a sudden death for all kinds of reasons.  In fairness some
projects spun off of the idea and were followed to conclusion.

The main problem I had was getting volunteers for coordinators and do-bees to
get some things done.  Had a few private messages backing the idea, but it
still didn't get off the ground.

Regards,
Frank