Date:      Thu, 4 Mar 2004 20:20:01 -0800
From:      "David O'Brien" <dev-null@NUXI.com>
To:        Quincey Koziol <koziol@ncsa.uiuc.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-amd64@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: freebsd-amd64 Digest, Vol 39, Issue 3

On Thu, Mar 04, 2004 at 02:50:22PM -0600, Quincey Koziol wrote:
> > First off, you shouldn't need to hack the 5.2.1 source at all to build.
> > Second, I also have an MSI dual-processor Opteron (MSI-9131 K8D Master-F)
> > system -- it is the one that built the 5.2.1 release.  I also have an
> > Iwill DK8X dual-processor board.  Neither are _glacially_ slow.
>     Hmm, I may just send this machine back and switch to "known good" hardware.
> Which dual-Opteron motherboard would you recommend?  One of the two you have
> or another one?

I have direct good experience with:
    + MSI MSI-9131 K8D Master-F,
    + Iwill DK8X
    + Tyan Thunder K8W (s2885)
    + Tyan Thunder K8S Pro (4+4 DIMM config)
    + Arima HDAMA(sp?) server board

> I saw someone else had success with), but that didn't help either.
>     Any further suggestions?  Do I have defective hardware?

It is possible you do have a HW issue -- maybe the RAM isn't certified
for your motherboard, maybe something else.

--
-- David  (obrien@FreeBSD.org)